[Bioperl-l] help parsing msf file or clustalW file reports

Jason Stajich jason at bioperl.org
Tue Sep 1 15:49:00 UTC 2009

I think you might want to use the column_from_residue_number method
that is part of Bio::SimpleAlign - it lets you get the column from an
alignment based on the sequence residue, doing some math along the way
to deal with gaps. That is the residue -> alignment direction.  If you
are starting at the alignment and want to get the residue's position
you will use the location_from_column on a particular sequence so

     # select somehow a sequence from the alignment, e.g.
     my $seq = $aln->get_seq_by_pos(1);
     #$loc is undef or Bio::LocationI object
     my $loc = $seq->location_from_column(5);

-jason