[Bioperl-l] PubMed records (was: MeSH terms)

Chris Fields cjfields at illinois.edu
Sun Oct 25 15:08:22 UTC 2009

On Oct 25, 2009, at 9:16 AM, Chris Fields wrote:

> On Oct 25, 2009, at 6:12 AM, Peter wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 6:45 PM, Robert Bradbury
>> <robert.bradbury at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> <alsaplayer-devel at lists.tartarus.org>
>>> I'm not sure if this is related to the MeSH question question or
>>> not, but
>>> I've googled the documentation several times and never managed to
>>> find
>>> "robust" examples for how to manipulate PubMed records.
>>>
>>> It would seem that there ought to be code lying around which does:
>>> Given Genbank ID,
>>>    Fetch all Pubmed records from that ID
>>>        Fetch all related records (via NCBI's "related" record IDs)
>>
>> Isn't this exactly what the NCBI's ELink is for?
>>
>> http://eutils.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/corehtml/query/static/elink_help.html
>> http://eutils.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/corehtml/query/static/entrezlinks.html
>>
>> You'd need to work out which of the Entrez databases you are
>> starting from (probably protein or genome), and then the relevant
>> ELink command (maybe genome_pubmed, or protein_pubmed,
>> protein_pubmed or protein_pubmed_weighted look possible).
>> Then for related pubmed articles, the ELink command is just
>> pubmed_pubmed.
>>
>> Peter
>
> Agreed.  This should be possible through BioPerl's
> Bio::DB::EUtilities.  I'll try to post an example up.
>
> chris

As promised...

chris

PS. I've been thinking about a couple of small additions:

1) normalizing how one indicates whether or not to use eutil cookies/
history (indicating such currently requires one to be more explicit),
2) adding a pipeline-like utility where one could pass in a series of
hashrefs with databases and it will link them all together using eutil
history/cookies.

If there is a need for this I can start working on it over the next
few weeks, after I finally get the next set of alphas out.

--------------------------------------

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use strict;
use warnings;
use Bio::DB::EUtilities;

my $term = 'Notch3 AND "Mus musculus"[ORGN]';

my $eutil = Bio::DB::EUtilities->new(-eutil     => 'esearch',
                                      -db        => 'protein',
                                      -term      => $term,
                                      -usehistory => 'y');

my $hist = $eutil->next_History || die "No queue history returned";

# can stipulate the actual linkname as well using -linkname
$eutil->reset_parameters(-eutil     => 'elink',
                          -db        => 'pubmed',
                          -dbfrom    => 'protein',
                          -history   => $hist,
                          -cmd       => 'neighbor_history');

$hist = $eutil->next_History || die "No queue history returned";

# adjust -retstart/-retmax to get more results
$eutil->reset_parameters(-eutil       => 'esummary',
                          -db          => 'protein',
                          -history     => $hist);

$eutil->print_all;