[Bioperl-l] PubMed records (was: MeSH terms)

Brian Osborne bosborne11 at verizon.net
Sat Oct 24 19:18:20 UTC 2009

Robert,

Not sure what "robust" means - would "working" suffice? Also, you
suggested starting with a Genbank id but what I'm about to show you
starts with Pubmed ids, at the other end. What I will do is take some
of this and make a little script for Bioperl's examples/ directory. In
the meantime, here is some code:

#!/bin/perl -w

use Bio::Biblio;

my $pmid = 52;

my $biblio = Bio::Biblio->new(-access => "eutils");

my $ref = $biblio->get_by_id($pmid);

# $ref contains raw XML
print $ref,"\n";

And what it prints is below.

Brian O.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE PubmedArticleSet PUBLIC "-//NLM//DTD PubMedArticle, 1st
January 2009//EN" "http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query/DTD/pubmed_090101.dtd
">
<PubmedArticleSet>
<PubmedArticle>
     <MedlineCitation Owner="NLM" Status="MEDLINE">
         <PMID>52</PMID>
         <DateCreated>
             <Year>1976</Year>
             <Month>02</Month>
             <Day>09</Day>
         </DateCreated>
         <DateCompleted>
             <Year>1976</Year>
             <Month>02</Month>
             <Day>09</Day>
         </DateCompleted>
         <DateRevised>
             <Year>2006</Year>
             <Month>11</Month>
             <Day>15</Day>
         </DateRevised>
         <Article PubModel="Print">
             <Journal>
                 <ISSN IssnType="Print">0006-2960</ISSN>
                 <JournalIssue CitedMedium="Print">
                     <Volume>14</Volume>
                     <Issue>24</Issue>
                     <PubDate>
                         <Year>1975</Year>
                         <Month>Dec</Month>
                         <Day>2</Day>
                     </PubDate>
                 </JournalIssue>
                 <Title>Biochemistry</Title>
                 <ISOAbbreviation>Biochemistry</ISOAbbreviation>
             </Journal>
             <ArticleTitle>Evidence of the involvement of a 50S
ribosomal protein in several active sites.</ArticleTitle>
             <Pagination>
                 <MedlinePgn>5321-7</MedlinePgn>
             </Pagination>
             <Abstract>
                 <AbstractText>The functional role of the Bacillus
stearothermophilus 50S ribosomal protein B-L3 (probably homologous to
the Escherichia coli protein L2) was examined by chemical
modification. The complex [B-L3-23S RNA] was photooxidized in the
presence of rose bengal and the modified protein incorporated by
reconstitution into 50S ribosomal subunits containing all other
unmodified components. Particles containing photooxidized B-L3 are
defective in several functional assays, including (1) poly(U)-directed
poly(Phe) synthesis, (2) peptidyltransferase activity, (3) ability to
associate with a [30S-poly(U)-Phe-tRNA] complex, and (4) binding of
elongation factor G and GTP. The rates of loss of the partial
functional activities during photooxidation of B-L3 indicate that at
least two independent inactivating events are occurring, a faster one,
involving oxidation of one or more histidine residues, affecting
peptidyltransferase and subunit association activities and a slower
one affecting EF-G binding. Therefore the protein B-L3 has one or more
histidine residues which are essential for peptidyltransferase and
subunit association, and another residue which is essential for EF-G-
GTP binding. B-L3 may be the ribosomal peptidyltransferase protein, or
a part of the active site, and may contribute functional groups to the
other active sites as well.</AbstractText>
             </Abstract>
             <AuthorList CompleteYN="Y">
                 <Author ValidYN="Y">
                     <LastName>Fahnestock</LastName>
                     <ForeName>S R</ForeName>
                     <Initials>SR</Initials>
                 </Author>
             </AuthorList>
             <Language>eng</Language>
             <PublicationTypeList>
                 <PublicationType>Journal Article</PublicationType>
                 <PublicationType>Research Support, U.S. Gov't,
P.H.S.</PublicationType>
             </PublicationTypeList>
         </Article>
         <MedlineJournalInfo>
             <Country>UNITED STATES</Country>
             <MedlineTA>Biochemistry</MedlineTA>
             <NlmUniqueID>0370623</NlmUniqueID>
         </MedlineJournalInfo>
         <ChemicalList>
             <Chemical>
                 <RegistryNumber>0</RegistryNumber>
                 <NameOfSubstance>Macromolecular Substances</
NameOfSubstance>
             </Chemical>
             <Chemical>
                 <RegistryNumber>0</RegistryNumber>
                 <NameOfSubstance>Ribosomal Proteins</NameOfSubstance>
             </Chemical>
         </ChemicalList>
         <CitationSubset>IM</CitationSubset>
         <MeshHeadingList>
             <MeshHeading>
                 <DescriptorName MajorTopicYN="N">Bacillus
stearothermophilus</DescriptorName>
                 <QualifierName MajorTopicYN="Y">metabolism</
QualifierName>
             </MeshHeading>
             <MeshHeading>
                 <DescriptorName MajorTopicYN="N">Binding Sites</
DescriptorName>
             </MeshHeading>
             <MeshHeading>
                 <DescriptorName MajorTopicYN="N">Hydrogen-Ion
Concentration</DescriptorName>
             </MeshHeading>
             <MeshHeading>
                 <DescriptorName MajorTopicYN="N">Kinetics</
DescriptorName>
             </MeshHeading>
             <MeshHeading>
                 <DescriptorName MajorTopicYN="N">Macromolecular
Substances</DescriptorName>
             </MeshHeading>
             <MeshHeading>
                 <DescriptorName MajorTopicYN="N">Oxidation-Reduction</
DescriptorName>
             </MeshHeading>
             <MeshHeading>
                 <DescriptorName MajorTopicYN="N">Photochemistry</
DescriptorName>
             </MeshHeading>
             <MeshHeading>
                 <DescriptorName MajorTopicYN="N">Protein Binding</
DescriptorName>
             </MeshHeading>
             <MeshHeading>
                 <DescriptorName MajorTopicYN="N">Ribosomal Proteins</
DescriptorName>
                 <QualifierName MajorTopicYN="Y">metabolism</
QualifierName>
             </MeshHeading>
             <MeshHeading>
                 <DescriptorName MajorTopicYN="N">Ribosomes</
DescriptorName>
                 <QualifierName MajorTopicYN="N">metabolism</
QualifierName>
             </MeshHeading>
         </MeshHeadingList>
     </MedlineCitation>
     <PubmedData>
         <History>
             <PubMedPubDate PubStatus="pubmed">
                 <Year>1975</Year>
                 <Month>12</Month>
                 <Day>2</Day>
             </PubMedPubDate>
             <PubMedPubDate PubStatus="medline">
                 <Year>1975</Year>
                 <Month>12</Month>
                 <Day>2</Day>
                 <Hour>0</Hour>
                 <Minute>1</Minute>
             </PubMedPubDate>
             <PubMedPubDate PubStatus="entrez">
                 <Year>1975</Year>
                 <Month>12</Month>
                 <Day>2</Day>
                 <Hour>0</Hour>
                 <Minute>0</Minute>
             </PubMedPubDate>
         </History>
         <PublicationStatus>ppublish</PublicationStatus>
         <ArticleIdList>
             <ArticleId IdType="pubmed">52</ArticleId>
         </ArticleIdList>
     </PubmedData>
</PubmedArticle>

</PubmedArticleSet>