[Bioperl-l] Bio::Tools::Run::Cap3 usage question

Florent Angly florent.angly at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 22:54:48 UTC 2009

Hi Paolo,

It turns out that there is no standard for what is to be passed to the
Bio::Tools::Run wrappers and returned by them. I noticed the
inconsistency between the assembly wrappers recently while implementing
support for new wrapper. I implemented inital support for additional de
novo assembly programs in BioPerl (454 Newbler and Minimo) a couple of
weeks ago and Mark Jensen added support for Maq, a program that
assembler reads against a reference. In the process, all the assembly
wrappers were changed to take the same type of input data (a FASTA
sequence or an array reference of sequence objects) and return one of
the following:
    * a Bio::Assembly::Scaffold object (the default), or
    * a Bio::Assembly::IO object, or
    * the name of a file for the output of the assembler
Use the out_type method to set up which output you want, e.g.:
    $factory->out_type('Bio::Assembly::IO');
or
    $factory->out_type('cap3_results.ace');
You'll have to use the code in the bioperl-run subversion if you want to
use these new features.

Cheers,

Florent