[Bioperl-l] Installing Bio-perl on dreamhost via CPAN

Chris Fields cjfields at illinois.edu
Fri Nov 20 20:40:24 UTC 2009

BioPerl is pure perl.  If you believe all dependencies are installed, just unpack the dist to a specific directory and point PERL5LIB at it (for bash):

export PERL5LIB=/home/USER/bioperl/bioperl-live

Note that if you plan on doing the same for other bioperl-related modules (ex: bioperl-db) you'll need to add 'lib' to it, as they use a generic Module::Build now.

export PERL5LIB=/home/USER/bioperl/bioperl-db/lib

You can also add a 'use lib' directive in your scripts as well.  More at the following link:

http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/Installing_Bioperl_for_Unix#USING_MODULES_NOT_INSTALLED_IN_THE_STANDARD_LOCATION

chris