[Bioperl-l] BioAlignIO, protein sequences and stop codons

Chris Fields cjfields at illinois.edu
Fri May 29 00:25:31 UTC 2009

On May 28, 2009, at 4:27 PM, Tristan Lefebure wrote:

> Hello,
>
> This might be a new behavior since BioPerl1.6, but when I
> import protein alignments that contain STOP residues (i.e.
> *), I get the following warnings:

This is a bug within Bio::AlignIO::fasta and not LocatableSeq.  I just
committed a fix for it to bioperl-live.

Just to note, this error message actually was present in all versions
of bioperl with LocatableSeq.  However, there was a silent logic bug
that prevented it from working up 'til 1.6.

> (And yes I want to keep the STOP codons, because I will use
> this amino-acid alignment with
> Bio::Align::Utilities::aa_to_dna_aln, and I don't want to
> loose the stop codon).
>
> I attach a small example and data set bellow.
>
> Thanks!

np.  thanks for finding the bug!