[Bioperl-l] bioperl-dev or branch?

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Thu May 21 21:00:46 UTC 2009

To quote from the thread:

"The idea behind bioperl-dev, as I understand from Chris, is to
provide a sort of sandbox for experimental code. Adventuresome users
should feel free to play with the code there, but not expect much in
the way of support, bug fixes, and the like. There be dragons there.
When a bioperl-dev module graduates to the core, then the usual
support mechanisms kick in."

I.e., there is a possibility, but no expectation to graduate to core.
I think that's important.

My sense is that we all agree that we don't want to abandon svn
branches (or do we?). To I'll state the question again: what
disqualifies a development project from going into the main trunk
(thanks to Sendu for keeping this on the table), and what disqualifies
it from going onto a branch, with the remaining resort being bioperl-
dev.

I'm worried about fragmentation here - historically we've been a crowd
that has been rather inviting of new contributions into the main code
base and tolerant of those additions needing time to mature, and we
have been lazy on committing on behalf of other people (which merging
patches, branches, and separate repositories on behalf of someone else
is) and hence liberal in giving out commit access, and commit to main
trunk access.

	-hilmar