[Bioperl-l] Google Summer of Code: Call for Bio* Volunteers

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Tue Mar 10 03:34:07 UTC 2009

You may recall my message to the developer lists of several O|B|F
projects in February about the idea of O|B|F applying to Google Summer
of Code as a mentoring organization [1].

I felt that the response to this was very positive and encouraging.
Although late (sorry, been swamped too much), I've now put up the
skeleton of an ideas page at

http://open-bio.org/wiki/Google_Summer_Code_2009

I basically modeled (in fact, largely copied) this page after the
NESCent Phyloinformatics Summer of Code ideas pages, which I think
worked pretty well. We can completely rework this, though - any
feedback and suggestions are very much welcome.

In the meantime, I need all developers to double check the information
under 'Contact'. Would the open-bio-l mailing list indeed reach the
prospective mentors and other devs? Will be you be fine with students
asking for feedback to their applications on the developers (i.e.,
this) list? Is the IRC channel (#bioperl) where at least some of the
prospective mentors hang out there for students to ask questions
during the time they apply?

I also need space for the reference information for all projects that
will participate with at least one project idea (I would hope that
that's all projects) to be added in the 'Open-Bio projects involved'
section.

*****
Most important of all, if you can volunteer to mentor a project,
please post a project idea to the page in the respective section,
using the idea template that's there already (copy, paste, and edit).
*****

The deadline for organization applications is Friday this week, Mar
13, which is very soon. The ideas page is a major factor and component
in how Google scores new mentoring organizations - the more we can
show the resourcefulness and diversity of our member projects the more
competitive I think we'll be. So all those who responded with ideas or
willingness to help out as primary or secondary mentores earlier, I
need you to think about and put up your idea(s) now.

Cheers,

	-hilmar

[1] http://tinyurl.com/ck7tqe