[Bioperl-l] Bio::SeqIO::scf traces scrambled?

Cook, Malcolm MEC at stowers.org
Thu Jun 18 15:42:48 UTC 2009

Charles,

Another possible stopgap that might work for you, if you're working with AB1 chromatograms and have ABIs kb-basecaller turned on, is to use Bio::Trace::ABIF

	http://search.cpan.org/dist/Bio-Trace-ABIF/lib/Bio/Trace/ABIF.pm

It works great and includes implementation of ABIs algorithm allowing to (re)compute trace clear ranges using kc-basecallers quality scores and any windowing/quality parameters.

Its not in the bioperl project but it is an easy install from CPAN.

I am familiar with staden::read installation woes.

Below is a quick script I wrote that employs it... it could be better parameterized, but it might be useful to you "out of the box"....

Malcolm Cook
Stowers Institute for Medical Research - Kansas City, Missouri

#!/usr/bin/env perl

# PURPOSE: extract from AB1 files into fasta format the sequence in
# the 'clear range' defined by 3 parameters.  If there is no clear
# range, emit warning and skip the sequence.  The fasta 'defline'
# identifier is taken as the sample name.  Other useful attributes are
# also embedded into the defline using attribute=value syntax.

# USAGE: ABIFqtrim $window_width $bad_bases_threshold $quality_threshold f1.ab1 ... fn.ab1

# NOTE: 20 4 20 is ABI default settings

# EXAMPLE:
# ABIFqtrim 20 4 20 /n/facility/Bioinformatics/Software/ABI/ab1_test_files/*.ab1 > ab1_test_files_trimmed.fasta

# AUTHOR: malcolm_cook at stowers-institute.org

use strict;
use warnings;
use Bio::Trace::ABIF;
use Text::Wrap qw(wrap);
$Text::Wrap::columns = 72;	# wrap the sequence

use File::Basename;
my ($window_width,
    $bad_bases_threshold,
    $quality_threshold,
    @ARGV) = @ARGV;

my $abif = Bio::Trace::ABIF->new();

sub main {} {
  foreach (@ARGV) {
    $abif->open_abif($_) or die "error opening $_ as ABIF";
    my ($clear_range_start,$clear_range_stop) = $abif->clear_range($window_width,
								   $bad_bases_threshold,
								   $quality_threshold
								  );
    my $sample_score = $abif->sample_score(
					   $window_width,
					   $bad_bases_threshold,
					   $quality_threshold
					  );
    #    my $contiguous_read_length = $abif->contiguous_read_length($window_width,
    #							       $quality_threshold,
    #							       0, # ==> trim_ends
    #							      );
    #    my $length_of_read = $abif->length_of_read(
    #				    $window_width,
    #				    $quality_threshold,
    #				    # $method
    #				   );
    my $defline =
      join "\t",
	$abif->sample_name,
	  #basename($_,qw(.ab1 .abi)), # use this to use the filename's basename in the defline
	  #$abif->container_identifier . ':' . $abif->well_id,  # or this, for container:well_id formatted defline identifiers
	  (map {my $method = $_;
		"$method=". ($abif->$method() || '')}
	   qw(sample_name comment run_name well_id container_identifier sequence_length )), #comment
	     # sample_tracking_id - don't use this - it is internal to ABI software
	     "clear_range_start=$clear_range_start",
	       "clear_range_stop=$clear_range_stop",
		 "sample_score=$sample_score",
		   #"contiguous_read_length=$contiguous_read_length",
		   #"length_of_read=$length_of_read",
		   ;
    if ($clear_range_start == -1) {
      warn "NO CLEAR RANGE! SKIPPING $_:\n\t$defline";
      next;
    }
    my $seq = wrap('','',substr($abif->sequence, $clear_range_start + 1, ($clear_range_stop + 1) - ($clear_range_start + 1) + 1));
    print ">$defline\n$seq\n";
    $abif->close_abif();

  }
}