[Bioperl-l] Next-gen modules

michael watson (IAH-C) michael.watson at bbsrc.ac.uk
Wed Jun 17 19:15:20 UTC 2009

In answer to your question, yes!  We have 6 illumina datasets which we have searched against sequence databases using fasta, and I used SearchIO to parse the results.  This is where BioPerl comes into its own - wrapped around fast, optimised solutions written in C or Java.  Sure, I could have written something in sed/awk/pure perl/C etc to parse out the information I needed faster, but the SearchIO solution only took a few minutes to parse a huge fasta results file, and for me (and many others, I suspect) a few minutes is not a problem.