[Bioperl-l] bioperl reorganization

Bernd Web bernd.web at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 12:19:00 UTC 2009

Hi,

I realize splitting BioPerl into smaller packages maybe nice (or not)
depending on where/how you use/develop bioperl.
Sendu wrote:

"But while BioPerl is still monolithic, how will people be able to
choose which external dependencies they want to install? That's the
question that must be resolved before getting rid of Bio::Root::Build.
You'd also need to resolve the network tests issue. And, well, I guess
all the other issues that Bio::Root:Build solves."

Actually, I and many student I worked with really likes the monolithic
form of BioPerl. No fuss in choosing what you want and finding out
later you need more. Simply install everything (which was possibly
slighly easier with the old perl Make files). Students that worked on
several computers even just saved the entire bioperl distro on their
USB stick, and easily could use and program with BioPerl on any PC.
>From the user's perpective, we really liked to have just one package.
I realize that this may be not as nice for the core developers.

Regards,
Bernd