[Bioperl-l] ubuntu installation

Robert Buels rmb32 at cornell.edu
Thu Jul 23 00:41:15 UTC 2009

According to `apt-cache show bioperl` on ubuntu, the Debian/Ubuntu
bioperl packages is maintained by the Debian-Med Packaging Team
<debian-med-packaging at lists.alioth.debian.org>, meaning they are the
ones who update and maintain it.  I wonder who 'they' are?  Are any of
you Debian Med packagers on this list?

Looking at
http://packages.debian.org/search?suite=all&searchon=names&keywords=bioperl
it looks like 1.6 has made it into Debian testing and unstable, so I
would guess that it would probably be in the next ubuntu release, I
would think.

However, looking at the ubuntu packages site,
http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=bioperl&searchon=names&suite=all&section=all
, it looks like karmic, the next release still has 1.5.2 in it.  This
could be a problem.  Perhaps we should email the Ubuntu MOTU Developers
<ubuntu-motu at lists.ubuntu.com> , who are maintaining the ubuntu version
of the package and ask them to make sure that 1.6 gets into Karmic?

Rob

--
Robert Buels
Bioinformatics Analyst, Sol Genomics Network
rmb32 at cornell.edu
http://www.sgn.cornell.edu