[Bioperl-l] bp_genbank2gff3.pl vs. EMBL2GFF ?

Mark A. Jensen maj at fortinbras.us
Mon Jan 19 22:03:31 UTC 2009

Lincoln- that's great- thanks- MAJ
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Lincoln Stein
  To: Mark A. Jensen
  Cc: Dan Bolser ; bioperl-l at lists.open-bio.org
  Sent: Monday, January 19, 2009 4:21 PM
  Subject: Re: [Bioperl-l] bp_genbank2gff3.pl vs. EMBL2GFF ?

  Hi Mark,

  I've forwarded your bug report to the script's author.

  Lincoln

  On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 10:04 AM, Mark A. Jensen <maj at fortinbras.us> wrote:

    Well, Dan,

    You may get exactly what you need from the line of code you have written. Excellent!
    However, genbank files can be complex, and will contain information that users may
    want to manipulate in different ways, particularly in ways that are computable.
    This script has other features under the hood, that you may not require, but at least
    one person (the script's author) did.

    One way to discover 'extra benefits' is to examine the script documentation, which
    describes in detail the capabilities of the script. To access it, open the script file,
    or use another possibly superfluous script that parses files in a particular context,
    called "perldoc", like this:
    perldoc genbank2gff3.PLS

    It's also worth keeping in mind that BioPerl, as heavily object-oriented as it is, is
    written to optimize development time, maybe at the expense of CPU cycles or
    disk space. I have written my own modules that BioPerl could certainly have done,
    but only with a generality that would have been pointless overhead for my application.

    I can have a look at the error.
    Best,
    Mark
    ----- Original Message ----- From: "Dan Bolser" <dan.bolser at gmail.com>