[Bioperl-l] [ANNOUCEMENT] BioPerl 1.6 RC3

Nathan S. Watson-Haigh nathan.watson-haigh at csiro.au
Wed Jan 21 04:38:47 UTC 2009

Scott Cain wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> I had really hoped to have Bio::DB::SeqFeature::Store::DBI::Pg working
> by the release of 1.6, but it will have to wait for a point release at
> some time in the near future.  I can't get it to pass tests, so please
> remove it from the 1.6 release.
>
> Scott

Can I ask a question regarding inclusion of modules back into BioPerl after the 1.6 release? Is the
intent to allow the addition of extra features/functionality to the 1.6 branch or is the branch just
for bug fixes? I would have thought it better to keep branches for point releases i.e. bug fixes
(merged from trunk over to the relevant branch or branches) and for additional
features/functionality to be kept until the next minor release such as 1.7

e.g.

- -- 1.6 ---------------------------- 1.7 -------------- trunk
     \                                \
      \                                \----- 1.7.1 -- 1.7 branch
       \
        \----- 1.6.1 --- 1.6.2 --------1.6.3 --------- 1.6 branch

Just thought some clarification might be needed?
Nath

- -- snip --

- --
Dr. Nathan S. Watson-Haigh