[Bioperl-l] Google Summer of Code: Call for Bio* Volunteers

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Fri Feb 13 18:31:18 UTC 2009

On Feb 13, 2009, at 12:57 PM, Giovanni Marco Dall'Olio wrote:

> how much time of the day does it take to partecipate to a summer of
> code program?
> Is it a full-time work, or I can do it only on the evenings and on
> my free time?

That's a great question. In principle (i.e., the official position) is
that being a Summer of Code student is meant to be a full-time
occupation for the duration of the coding period.

That said, some people manage to work a full-time job on their
evenings and weekends. It also doesn't mean that you can't be doing
something else on the side. But empirical experience shows very
clearly that if as a student you try to do Summer of Code on the side,
at best, i.e., if you're a strong programmer and have the necessary
domain background, you'll be on the brink of failure. The great
majority of students is less strong, however (and making them stronger
is one of the goals of the program).

At the end of the day, success isn't measured in hours spent. It's
whether you reach your set goals or not. Every student is different in
terms of skills and personality they bring to the table, and every
project is different, so there is no hard-and-fast rule as to how much
time you need to be able to spend. But if it's not going to be your
primary activity that takes priority over everything else, then you're
not set up to succeed. And setting students up for success is another
goal of the program.

Does that make sense?

	-hilmar