[Bioperl-l] problem with alignments and sequence locations

Florent Angly florent.angly at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 18:26:57 UTC 2009

Hi all,

Like Steffen, I've had a few burning questions too regarding
LocatableSeq lately.

I've had an occasional issue with LocatableSeq. Most assembly-related
modules use LocatableSeq objects. They specify the sequence start but
not the sequence end. This works in most cases, but I've recently
encountered very occasional error messages related to having not
explicitely set the end of the sequence. I've been unable to put
together a small test case to reproduce the bug easily.

My question is. If the start of the sequence is set, is it mandatory to
set the end of the sequence? If so, then maybe the documentation needs
to be explicit about it and maybe there needs to be a check that
enforces that the end is set. In fact, it seems like if I provide a
sequence and its start position, the LocatableSeq code should be able to
automatically calculate its end, no?

Florent