[Bioperl-l] GFF and LocatableSeq refactoring

Chris Fields cjfields at illinois.edu
Fri Aug 14 23:29:43 UTC 2009

As we have pretty much everything in place for another point release
(which I will start merging over this weekend into the 1.6 branch), I
have gone ahead and made two branches for refactoring some of the more
important pieces of bioperl code.  Both refactors may require API
changes; if so these will be part of a 1.7 release.

1) GFF - entail refactoring bioperl code to better handle GFF2/3.

This is a large section of code, so small incremental changes may be
merged to trunk over time (and thus may involve several branches).
Included is refactoring of feature typing to be more consistent and
lightweight, and will initially involve Bio::FeatureIO and
Bio::SeqFeature::Annotated (which may be deprecated in the process).
See the following for additional details:

http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/GFF_Refactor

2) Align/LocatableSeq - dealing with inconsistencies in Bio::AlignI
(SimpleAlign) and LocatableSeq.  This is primarily to address
significant bugs but will also entail cleaning up SimpleAlign methods
(factoring out more utility-like methods into Bio::Align::AlignUtils
or similar).  This also may involve several branches.  See the
following for additional details:

http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/Align_Refactor

Any help/suggestions for the above two would be greatly appreciated!
Robert Buels may be heading up the initial FeatureIO work; I will
likely start on LocatableSeq/Align (Mark, wanna help?).