[Bioperl-l] Regarding Bio::Root::Build

Chris Fields cjfields at illinois.edu
Wed Aug 12 16:44:37 UTC 2009

On Aug 9, 2009, at 9:00 AM, Sendu Bala wrote:

> Chris Fields wrote:
>> As long as you're moving everything into /lib (which I fully
>> support), we should consider hard_coding scripts into bp_foo.PLS
>> syntax seeing as we're going through additional trouble of
>> converting them over.  That is, unless there is a specific purpose
>> to keeping them without the 'bp_'.
>
> (The final suffix is supposed to be .pl  - we convert from PLS to pl
> in core, no conversion needed in db)

Yes, had that reversed in my commit.  Thanks.

> Yes, for only a handful of scripts, it actually makes sense to
> flatten them all into a new bin directory, which is the default
> script location for Module::Build.
>
> So for example I'd do:
> svn mv scripts/biosql/bioentry2flat.pl bin/bp_bioentry2flat.pl
> etc.

Yes, exactly.  It seems we're going out of our way to keep things as
they were previously when using ExtUtil::MakeMaker/Makefile.PL.

I'm not quite sure why we've bent over backwards to work around these
issues when it is much easier to stick to simple standards that 99% of
CPAN uses: scripts in bin (or whatever dir is passed to script_files),
modules in lib.  I'm not complaining, just haven't heard an
explanation about that one way or the other.