[Bioperl-l] SimpleAlign - get_seq_by_id

Albert Vilella avilella at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 17:31:53 UTC 2008

> It would make sense to also see about implementing Gblocks style filtering
> method as well (but not in SimpleAlign give then number of methods already
> as you mention!).

Yes, that would be really useful :-)

Some of the aligner programs, like T-Coffee, also have the ability to
produce a score matrix for a given MSA. This matrix-style notation of
alignment "quality" could be used to filter given a threshold not only
vertically (columns) but also horizontally (e.g., mispredicted coding exons
that don't align well to the rest of the proteins). I think there is growing
interest in the concept of meta-aligners nowadays, i.e., methods that will
combine the resulting MSAs from a set of aligners and produce a final MSA
jointly with a score matrix of alignment quality:

http://nar.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/34/6/1692

It would be very interesting to have the methods for this kind of alignment
filtering in Bioperl so that one can call methods from a $sa object and get
filtered alignments given defined thresholds.