[Bioperl-l] Test coverage for BioPerl now available

Nathan S. Watson-Haigh nhaigh at sheffield.ac.uk
Mon Oct 6 02:39:54 UTC 2008

Firstly, thanks Mauricio for getting this set up....it should be really
useful for everyone and make adding tests so much easier by focusing
attention on problem areas! In fact, it could help users make the transition
from using Bioperl to contributing code by giving them an entry point into
understanding the modules. Increasing test coverage in a group of modules
would make a good student project!

Heikki,

You should find this page useful:
http://search.cpan.org/~pjcj/Devel-Cover-0.64/lib/Devel/Cover/Tutorial.pod

I use the following as a list of priorities for code coverage:
1) Get the "subroutine" metric to 100% - every subroutine should have at
least 1 test to check it's returning the correct value/object given at least
one set of arguments.
2) Get the "statement" metric as close to 100% as possible by providing
various inputs so that each statement is tested for BOTH the true and false
possibilities.
3) Work on the "branch" and "path" metrics if after performing the above 2,
these are still in low coverage. You'll find that performing the above
steps, will have a knock-on effect of increasing these coverage's at the
same time.

NOTE:
Testing never proves the absence of faults, it only shows their presence.

I think as a result of better test coverage, there will be a need to
formalise/discuss the intended behaviour of some modules, as well as the
choice over default values. Also, Don't forget to test for situations where
you expect a die/warn using Test::Exception and Test::Warn

WIKI:
I Think there needs to be some consolidation of Testing
practices/information etc on the wiki, especially in light of the test
coverage pages, with the above page linked to. In particular the following
pages have info about testing:
http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/Project_priority_list#Module_testing
http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/HOWTO:Writing_BioPerl_Tests
http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/Becoming_a_developer#Test