[Bioperl-l] quick pairwise alignment

Scott Markel SMarkel at accelrys.com
Thu Nov 27 13:03:38 UTC 2008

Alper,

I don't think the Bio::SearchIO data objects provide functions
allowing the retrieval of the query sequence.  You should have
either the sequence object or a file containing it that you used
in the BioPerl BLAST call.

If by "original" sequence you mean the datbase hit, then you'll
have to use NCBI's fastacmd (part of the BLAST suite of programs)
to retrieve the full-length sequence.  Only the portion(s) needed
for the pairwise alignment(s) are contained in the BLAST output.

Of course, using the sequence identifiers you could retrieve the
full-length database ht a number of other ways.

Scott

Scott Markel, Ph.D.
Principal Bioinformatics Architect  email:  smarkel at accelrys.com
Accelrys (SciTegic R&D)             mobile: +1 858 205 3653
10188 Telesis Court, Suite 100      voice:  +1 858 799 5603
San Diego, CA 92121                 fax:    +1 858 799 5222
USA                                 web:    http://www.accelrys.com

http://www.linkedin.com/in/smarkel
Board of Directors: International Society for Computational Biology
Co-chair: ISCB Publications Committee
Associate Editor: PLoS Computational Biology
Editorial Board: Briefings in Bioinformatics