[Bioperl-l] LocatableSeq::subseq(): bug or not?

Mark A. Jensen maj at fortinbras.us
Mon Nov 24 02:40:06 UTC 2008

Since subseq() returns a string, I would (and do) expect a 1-origin
substring of the actual character data. It would be nice to continue
to have a thoughtless data grab without using substr directly. I find
I want to deal with both gapped sequence and the gap-stripped sequence
at various points in an app, and have the goodies that Locatable and
Align provide as well. It might be convenient to have another method
for dealing specifically with the gap-stripped sequence, say
subseq_nogap() or subseq_residues(), so that the expected (and
regressed) subseq() behavior is preserved. [I prefer 'residues' to
'bases' to highlight the generality of the representation.]
MAJ