[Bioperl-l] Draw phylogenetic trees with bar chart

Florent Angly florent.angly at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 06:47:49 UTC 2008

Dear Bioperl users,

I need to represent graphically phylogenetic trees as cladograms or
phylograms using Perl. An additional requirement is that I would like to
add graph data as bar chart on top of it as in this example:
    http://scums.sdsu.edu/Mapper/images/b.gif

Now, I have read the BioPerl howto and know about the
Bio::TreeIO::svggraph and Bio::Tree::Draw::Cladogram modules. The first
one uses the SVG Perl module whereas the other one uses the PostScript
module to create EPS images. I do not know why there are 2 very similar
modules to draw trees (in different locations), but none of them seem to
able to plot additional information on the tree.

Is there any other Perl code that you know of that would facilitate
doing what I want to do? If not, how should I modify one of the 2
mentioned BioPerl modules to plot bar charts, and which one??

Thanks,

Florent