[Bioperl-l] Withdraw Bio::Graphics and Bio::DB::SeqFeature from bioperl distribution?

Dan Bolser dan.bolser at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 22:01:17 UTC 2008

2008/11/10 Chris Fields <cjfields at illinois.edu>:
> Lincoln,
>
> I agree about the glacial pace.  It's also feeling more and more like only a
> couple of active developers are working on it (so the more that chip in the
> better).  Furthermore, the code base is so large now at this point it feels
> like steering an aircraft carrier with an oar and has become very hard to
> work on.
>
> I don't have any objections personally if you want to withdraw
> Bio::Graphics/Bio::DB::SeqFeature, but how much work would that be (scott
> mentions a few issues I see)?
>
> Personally, I think if Bio::Graphics remains in bioperl we have to do two
> things.  We should release the full bioperl-live as-is to CPAN as an
> official release (TODO any bugs) ASAP.  No RCs; we'll post point releases
> along the way for bug fixes (I like the 'release early/release often'
> mantra).  I can work on this over the next couple of weeks, aiming for
> Thanksgiving for a 1.6, but I probably won't get rolling until this weekend
> (too much going on this week).  We can aim for more regular point releases
> then.
>
> Following that, I think a more stable long-term solution is to split off
> some of the non-core-like modules so that we can speed up releases (this has
> been discussed in the past,
> http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/Proposed_1.6_core_modules).  Basically, make a
> 'bare-bones' well-tested core containing the base classes and interfaces
> that remain stable long-term, such as Bio::Root, Bio::Seq/PrimarySeq,
> Bio::SeqFeature::*, with as few dependencies as possible.
>
> Everything else requiring constant maintenance, not actively supported, or
> under development would go into a separate monolithic distribution listing
> the new core as a dependency; this could feasibly have it's own release

Sorry for the potentially dumb question, but why have an overall
release cycle at all?

BioPerl is so large and diverse, asking for a new 'release' is almost
like asking for 'the next release of CPAN'. Can't inter-module
dependencies just be handled in the same way as in the rest of CPAN,
with everything released asynchronously? Is BioPerl just too tightly
woven for that to happen?

Dan.

http://network.nature.com/profile/dan