[Bioperl-l] Phyloxml <alignment>

Arlin Stoltzfus arlin.stoltzfus at nist.gov
Wed Jul 30 13:58:09 UTC 2008

Jason, et al--

In regard to the Bio::NEXUS objects, we (Bio::NEXUS team) have the
aspiration to integrate with BioPerl objects via some coordinated
CDAT (character-data-and-trees object) super-object that would allow
coordinated operations like slicing OTUs X, Y and Z out of both the
tree and the alignment.

But it hasn't really happened.  Aaron suggests that there might be a
lesson here, and maybe its about the folly of designing one great
object ("One Thing to rule them all; One Thing to find them; One
Thing to gather all, and in the darkness, bind them").  Anyway, Aaron
suggests we should opt for a "dumber" (his words) approach such as
treating an alignment as an "annotation" of a tree.  He and Weigang
have done some of that.

Yet, I think Rutger might have worked out a smarter approach in
Bio::Phylo, which (as I understand it) *does* have bindings to
BioPerl objects.

It might be worth having a summit meeting to work out some strategy
to solve this problem.  We might be able to get support for a meeting
or hackathon via NESCent if we write a White Paper that lays out a
plan aimed at 1) object bindings between Bio::Phylo, BioPerl and
Bio::NEXUS and 2) some coordinated operations, with or without a
super-object.  The purpose would be to expand the power of these Perl
libraries to facilitate evolutionary analyses.

Any takers?

Arlin