[Bioperl-l] Phyloxml SeqI without actual sequence

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Tue Jul 29 17:59:24 UTC 2008

On Jul 29, 2008, at 1:31 PM, miraceti wrote:

> sometimes the clade looks like.
>
>               <sequence>
>                  <annotation>
>                     <desc>alcohol dehydrogenase</desc>
>                     <confidence type="probability">0.99</confidence>
>                  </annotation>
>               </sequence>
>
> sometimes the clade looks like.
>
>                 <sequence>
>                  <symbol>ADHX</symbol>
>                  <accession source="UniProtKB">P81431</accession>
>                  <name>Alcohol dehydrogenase class-3</name>
>
> <mol_seq>TDATGKPIKCMAAIAWEAKKPLSIEEVEVAPPKSGEVRIKILHSGVCHTD</mol_seq>
>                  <annotation ref="EC:1.1.1.1"/>
>                  <annotation ref="GO:0004022"/>
>               </sequence>
>
> Do you think it's better not to create the SeqI in the first case?.

It's an option but to me it threatens to lose the fact that the
annotation properties pertain to a sequence, not to something else
(such as the tree node, for example). So, if you don't attach the
annotation to a sequence object you create, what would you attach it
to then? In the absence of a good answer creating the sequence object
may the only way.

I thought I'd recall some kind of Bio::Seq::EmptySeq object for
exactly this kind of case, but apparently there isn't one there, so
maybe I was just dreaming this up. However, a sequence object that is
optimized for this case may be useful to have, though thinking about
it, I'm not exactly sure what overhead the sequence slot really adds
to all the other overhead added by feature and annotation slots. The
only thing that really comes to mind is that a sequence object with a
zero length sequence won't allow you to add features.

Sorry for this random stream of thoughts here, I hope I'm not totally
wasting everyone's time here.

	-hilmar