[Bioperl-l] Smaller Bioperl Modules

Nathan.Watson-Haigh at csiro.au Nathan.Watson-Haigh at csiro.au
Mon Jul 21 23:09:59 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I'm developing a web-based application and it'd be cool to use some
Bioperl modules. However, I'll be providing my tool for downloaded and
installation on a web server, so having to ask the sys admin to install
all of bioperl where I only need a few modules is overkill and is likely
to cause installation headaches.

Since I've been out of the loop for quite a while now, I was wondering
if any decisions had been made about whether or not Bioperl was going to
be released on CPAN in smaller sets of modules with correct dependencies
and possibly a Bundle::Bioperl? It'd be nice to have my application, for
example, depend on Bio::SeqIO, such that only Bio::SeqIO::* and it's
dependencies are installable through CPAN.

Cheers,
Nath

Dr. Nathan S. Watson-Haigh        (publish under Haigh, N.S.)
OCE Post Doctoral Fellow
CSIRO Livestock Industries
J M Rendel Laboratory
Rockhampton
QLD 4701                              Tel: +61 (0)7 4923 8121
Australia                             Fax: +61 (0)7 4923 8222