[Bioperl-l] Bio::DB::GenBank and large number of requests

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Tue Jan 29 18:06:08 UTC 2008

Yes, you can only retrieve ~500 sequences at a time using either
Bio::DB::GenBank.  Both Bio::DB::GenBank and Bio::DB::EUtilities
interact with NCBI's EUtilities (the former module returns raw data
from the URL to be processed later, the latter module returns Bio::Seq/
Bio::SeqIO objects).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/bv.fcgi?rid=coursework.section.large-datasets

You can usually post more IDs using epost and fetch sequence referring
to the WebEnv/key combo (batch posting).  I try to make this a bit
easier with EUtilities but it is woefully lacking in documentation (my
fault), but there is some code up on the wiki which should work.

chris