[Bioperl-l] GenBank format and feature names > 15 char

Scott Cain cain.cshl at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 18:46:39 UTC 2008

Hi all,

Last month, I got a bug report on the GBrowse bug tracker:

  http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1845217&group_id=27707&atid=391291

about a problem with dumping invalid GenBank files.  GBrowse uses
Bio::SeqIO::genbank to create these dumps.

In his bug report, he claims that feature names over 15 characters long
are invalid, and provided and example GenBank file where a feature is
named 'BAC_cloned_genomic_insert', which is over 15 characters.  What I
want to know is this: is this truly a restriction on the GenBank format,
or is it a software problem with some other package?  Do we need to fix
genbank.pm?  I'm perfectly willing to do it; I'm just hesitant to
believe this is really a bug.

Thanks,
Scott

Scott Cain, Ph. D.                                   cain.cshl at gmail.com