[Bioperl-l] GenBank ASN.1 SeqIO parser

Ryan Golhar golharam at umdnj.edu
Thu Feb 7 23:00:33 UTC 2008

That I can use from Perl?  Such as????

I need to retrieve Gene Ontology information (classification and GO id)
from the Entrez Gene record.  I thought it would be easiest using
BioPerl to do this.  BioPerl only has an ASN.1 parser, entrezgene.

When I use this to load the Gene record, I'm using:

my $io = Bio::SeqIO->new(-file => '</tmp/gene.asn', -format =>
"entrezgene" );
my $seq_obj = $io->next_seq;

Something is not working with the second line.  I get an error:

  "Use of uninitialized value in string eq at
         /home/golharam/bioperl/bioperl-1.5.1//Bio/SeqIO/entrezgene.pm
line 244"

It sort of makes sense because, well, the Entrez Gene record doesn't
have a sequence...it has information about a gene.

I figure I must be doing something wrong but I haven't seen anything in
BioPerl about parsing entrez gene records any other way.

Ryan