[Bioperl-l] BioPerl 1.6 RC1

Sendu Bala bix at sendu.me.uk
Wed Dec 31 01:59:29 UTC 2008

Christopher Fields wrote:
>> Chris: I note that extraneous files like 'test.txt' and others made
>> it into the RC1 .tar.gz you uploaded. What I always did was a clean
>> export of the tag and built from there. BTW, the dist action also
>> warns you about modules with their own version:
>> Bio::DB::GFF::Aggregator::orf in this case. You might want to
>> investigate that.
>
> I noticed that it's packaging up everything in the local directory,
> yes (that was after the upload unfortunately).  That'll be fixed for
> RC2; I'll look for a more amenable fix when I get back (a packlist of
> files would work around this, but I'm not sure how well that will
> work with a large distro like BioPerl).

No, no, it wouldn't work at all. The dist action is what /generates/ the
'packlist' (MANIFEST) - we don't want to have to manually specify
anything because it would be too easy to forget to add new files and
there would be no obvious indication anything was left out of a
distribution. It's very important this remain automatic and fool proof.

It should package up everything under version control. Only if there are
things under version control that we don't want packaged should
/exceptions/ manually be added (MANIFEST.SKIP, ne Build.PL).

Again, all you have to and should do is build from a fresh export of the
tag, not from your normal working directory. You should never do that in
any case, because you might have been working on a module and have
uncommitted changes.