[Bioperl-l] PullHSP bug

Chris Fields cjfields at illinois.edu
Wed Dec 3 15:06:06 UTC 2008

On Dec 3, 2008, at 5:38 AM, Sendu Bala wrote:

> Chris Fields wrote:
>> The short and easy fix is either having get_nse() or blast_pull
>> fall back to '', but both are technically wrong as there isn't a
>> true ID.  Ideas?  Maybe a fallback 'unknown' ID (which seems to be
>> used as a ).

...fallback in some cases (Can tell I was getting tired).

> I'd say for now at least the fix would be to alter get_nse() to fall
> back to ''. You don't want the work-around code duplicated in
> multiple places. Indeed, the normal blast parser should be altered
> to return undef as well.

That solution requires get_nse to silently convert this; the exception
is raised b/c the N/S-E is used for indexing (so lack of any one of
those may result in indexing issues, such as replacing sequences with
same ID but no S-E, etc.).

> Then if a more desirable solution is thought of in the future,
> there's just one place to implement it: in get_nse().

We don't want the exception turned off unless it is explicitly known
the sequence instance lacks any or all of the N/S-E, such as in this
case.  Setting an explicit LocatableSeq flag for such instances
(force_nse), then having get_nse() DTRT internally would be easy to
implement.

Odd, list mail hasn't been coming through (bioperl-gut either).  I'll
post something to support.