[Bioperl-l] Build.PL options?

Sendu Bala bix at sendu.me.uk
Tue Aug 19 15:56:32 UTC 2008

Michael Thon wrote:
>> How else will you be doing the dependency resolution? If your system
>> just installs all dependencies itself beforehand, then dependency
>> resolution won't be invoked in Build.PL :)
>> Otherwise, don't run Build.PL at all (why do you need to?),
>
> Good point.  Now, why didn't I think of that? :)
> Does Build.PL do anything other than copy Perl modules (and install
> dependencies)?

It generates the 'Build' script, which provides a whole host of functions:

./Build help

The only one other than 'install' that might be relevant to you is

./Build test

to run the test suite, if testing is part of you own system. There are
other standard ways to run the tests though, that don't need you to
create the Build script.

Somewhere along the lines, probably during the install function, it also
creates man files and other forms of documentation iirc, and installs
those too.

If you handle dependencies, installation and testing (or don't do
testing) yourself, and don't care about man files (perldoc is good
enough?) you can ignore Build.PL.