[Bioperl-l] Bioperl -- why so old? ... or ... Feature/Annotation rollback breaks Bioperl/Ensembl compatibility

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Mon Sep 17 21:52:55 UTC 2007

Malcolm,

I have removed the Bio::Annotation overloading exceptions from
bioperl-live; they're just more trouble than they're worth right
now.  Could you try it out and see if that suffices, and drop us a
note if it doesn't or if you run into other odd issues?  I'll be busy
until the end of the month but I'll do the best I can to help out.

The rollbacks were fairly simple and essentially reversed, corrected,
or simplified many changes made prior to the 1.5 release (most of
which were undocumented and not completely implemented).  They pass
all current tests and should make BioPerl classes (particularly
Annotations and SeqFeatures) behave more like 1.4.  Beyond the now-
removed exceptions it should be fine unless it is in an area of
already-known incompatibility between BioPerl and Ensembl, some of
which you've already outlined.

chris