[Bioperl-l] coloring of HSPs in blast panel

Steve Chervitz sac at bioperl.org
Tue Nov 27 01:41:59 UTC 2007

Chris,

Cood catch. You're on track here with one exception: WU blast and NCBI
blast behave differently in what they report in the hit table: WU
blast puts the raw score in the table not the bit score as NCBI blast
does (see example below for reference). WU blast also swaps their
location in the HSP header relative to how NCBI reports it. It would
be good to verify that the blast parser isn't befuddled by this. A
quick look at SearchIO::blast and it appears that data from the hit
table is always getting stored as score, not bits for WU blast. Not
sure if the HSP section data are parsed correctly. I'd recommend
looking into these things when you do your fixes.

So in the end, WU blast HSPs that are built from the hit table should
report a value for raw_score and punt on bits, but NCBI HSPs so
constructed should do the opposite. The downside to this arrangement
is that code that works for NCBI blast hits will need modification to
work for WU blast hits, but that is just the nature of the data. It
shouldn't be an issue for the majority of users that stick with one
flavor of blast and don't switch back and forth, or for users that get
their HSP scoring data from HSP sections rather than relying on the
hit table.

Ideally, the HSP object would know whether it was NCBI or WU-based and
issue an informative warning when attempting to access data it doesn't
have. One solution might be for the parser to put a 'WU-' in front of
the algorithm name for WU blast reports, so it would then be available
for the contained hit/hsp objects. This could break anything dependent
on algorithm name, so it would need some testing.

Steve

Example WU blast table and HSP header:
                                                                     Smallest
                                                                       Sum
                                                              High  Probability
Sequences producing High-scoring Segment Pairs:              Score  P(N)      N

gb|AAC73113.1| (AE000111) aspartokinase I, homoserine deh...  4141  0.0       1
gb|AAC76922.1| (AE000468) aspartokinase II and homoserine...   844  3.1e-86   1
gb|AAC76994.1| (AE000475) aspartokinase III, lysine sensi...   483  2.8e-47   1
gb|AAC73282.1| (AE000126) uridylate kinase [Escherichia c...    97  0.0010    1

>gb|AAC73113.1| (AE000111) aspartokinase I, homoserine dehydrogenase I
            [Escherichia coli]
        Length = 820

 Score = 4141 (1462.8 bits), Expect = 0.0, P = 0.0
 Identities = 820/820 (100%), Positives = 820/820 (100%)

Example NCBI blast table and HSP header:

                                                                 Score    E
Sequences producing significant alignments:                      (bits) Value

ENSP00000350182 pep:novel clone::BX322644.8:4905:15090:-1 gene:E...
120   3e-27
ENSP00000350182 pep:novel clone::BX322644.8:4905:15090:-1 gene:E...
120   3e-27
ENSP00000327738 pep:known-ccds chromosome:NCBI36:4:189297592:189...
115   8e-26

>ENSP00000350182 pep:novel clone::BX322644.8:4905:15090:-1 gene:ENSG00000137397
           transcript:ENST00000357569
          Length = 425

 Score =  120 bits (301), Expect = 3e-27
 Identities = 76/261 (29%), Positives = 140/261 (53%), Gaps = 21/261 (8%)