[Bioperl-l] What does Expect(2) mean in a blast result?

Amir Karger akarger at CGR.Harvard.edu
Tue Nov 13 17:12:32 UTC 2007

Thanks for the reply. I'm curious as to how BLAST decides to do this,
but not curious enough to buy the BLAST book.

If you want to see this, you could just tblastn the ENSP00000349467
sequence vs. the genome:

MADQLTEEQIAEFKEAFSLFDKDGDGTITTKELGTVMRSLGQNPTEAELQDMINEVDADG
NGTIDFPEFLTMMARKMKDTDSEEEIREAFRVFDKDGNGYISAAELRHVMTNLGEKLTDE
EVDEMIREADIDGDGQVNYEEFVQMMTAK
against the human genome at NCBI or locally.

I've attached the tblastn report for that protein, which includes the
results I quoted. (It was done as part of a blast of 150 proteins vs.
the genome.)

-Amir