[Bioperl-l] What does Expect(2) mean in a blast result?

Steve Chervitz sac at bioperl.org
Sat Nov 10 22:59:28 UTC 2007

The Bioperl blast parser should extract that value and you can obtain
it from an HSP object, via the HSPI::n() method, documented here:

http://doc.bioperl.org/releases/bioperl-current/bioperl-live/Bio/Search/HSP/HSPI.html#POD23

Dave's basically correct in his explanation. It's a result of the
application of sum statistics by the blast algorithm. You can read all
about it in Korf et al's BLAST book. Here's the relevant section:

http://books.google.com/books?id=xvcnhDG9fNUC&pg=PA102&lpg=PA102&dq=blast+sum+statistics&source=web&ots=WIudsJGaCk&sig=v66X3wRLEHvpTLUD36AE5DGpPBY#PPA102,M1

Steve