[Bioperl-l] Bio::Tools::Run::Mdust

Heikki Lehvaslaiho heikki at sanbi.ac.za
Wed Nov 7 10:05:59 UTC 2007

Hi Donald,

I started using your Mdust module in bioperl-run and run into problems
immediately.

* Only Bio::Seq objects are accepted but not Bio::PrimarySeq objects,
  although the docs say otherwise
* Sequences are modified in place. That is really bad, because that
  means that the user has to know to create a copy before
  running Mdust on it.
* The docs say that you have to set MDUSTDIR envvar to tell the program
  where to find the binary. That is actually optional if the
  binary is on your path.
* The tests do not cover any of the options to the program

As a quick fix, I suggest that we:

* leave the current way of working for Bio::SeqI objects:
  sequence string is not masked but seqfeatures to that effect are added
* Modify run() to return the new masked sequence object when
  the target is a Bio::PrimarySeqI.
* fix the documentation

After that it will be possible to simply write:

use Bio::Tools::Run::Mdust;
$mdust = Bio::Tools::Run::Mdust->new();
$seq_dusted = $m->run($seq); # $seq->isa(PrimarySeqI);

Are you happy for me to do this or do you want to do it yourself?

Yours,
	-Heikki

     _/  _/  _/  Heikki Lehvaslaiho
    _/_/_/_/_/  heikki at_sanbi _ac _za    skype: heikki_lehvaslaiho
   _/  _/  _/  SANBI, South African National Bioinformatics Institute
  _/  _/  _/  University of Western Cape, South Africa
     _/      Phone: +27 21 959 2096   FAX: +27 21 959 2512