[Bioperl-l] Packaging bioperl for Fedora

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Sat Mar 31 15:50:59 UTC 2007

> My sense is that if the license of a package is OK with Fedora and it
> doesn't otherwise break up a group of packages too much (e.g. breaking
> up Bioperl may or may not be a good idea), then it could go into
> Fedora.  (For example I believe that the NCBI C++ toolkit's license
> should be just fine being a work of the US government is in the public
> domain[1], so it could go in Fedora, same for BLAST[2], which is has
> an implementation within the toolkit).

BioPerl is issued under the Perl Artistic License so there shouldn't
be any problems with making a distribution.  A copy of the license is
included in CVS and should be included in the distribution.

http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/Licensing_BioPerl

As I stated in a another post we already make bioperl core, bioperl-
run, bioperl-network, and bioperl-db PPMs for ActivePerl so I don't
see a problem with having a Fedora RPM available for core, bioperl-
run, bioperl-db. etc., though I would stick with releases and not CVS.

chris