[Bioperl-l] New Article on Approaches to Web Development for Bioinformatics

Alex Amies alexamies at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 03:09:51 UTC 2007

Mauricio,

Thanks for your comments.

You are right that I could have said a lot more about web services.  I
plan on doing that but I haven't got there yet.  Actually, with all
the hype about web services I have been surprised to find the
programming model so complicated.

As you mention, I certainly could have thought out my own URL's better.

I have been surprised not to find more PHP activity in bioinformatics.
 To me, besides being a lightweight and pleasant language to program
in it is incredibly economical for hosting Internet applications and
there is a huge open source community around PHP in general.  The same
can be said of Perl.  It is because of my own ignorance and lack of
time that I have not investigated Python and Ruby.  I may do in the
future and write about them.

Alex