[Bioperl-l] ssh keys [was Re: First cut svn repository]

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Fri Jun 29 17:00:27 UTC 2007

On Jun 29, 2007, at 7:28 AM, David Messina wrote:

>> BTW, I haven't been able to check out the new svn repository via
>> svn+ssh:// because I can't get svn to authenticate with an
>> alternative
>> username.
>
> I have the same issue. I set up a stanza in my ~/.ssh/config:
>
> Host dev.open-bio.org
>    User dave_messina
>
> where dave_messina is my dev.open-bio.org username.

I changed to the macports ssh w/o luck.  It appears the key is
offered up, so maybe the problem is how I have everything set up on
dev (though I followed everything on the wiki):

  Contact 'support at open-bio.org' for
your new login information.
======================================
debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,gssapi-with-
mic,password
debug1: Offering public key: /Users/cjfields/.ssh/id_dsa
debug2: we sent a publickey packet, wait for reply
debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,gssapi-with-
mic,password
debug2: we did not send a packet, disable method
debug1: Next authentication method: password

It's odd; I can use passwordless logins for other servers (admittedly
Mac servers) w/o problems using ssh keys, but dev.open-bio.org always
prompts for a password regardless.

My feeling is it's something with my local ssh or sshd config; I'll
try fiddling with it to see what happens.  Anyone have suggestions?
I've lost enough hair as is; don't want to lose more!