[Bioperl-l] First cut svn repository [was Re: SVN and ...Re: Perltidy]

Steve Chervitz sac at bioperl.org
Fri Jun 29 08:25:36 UTC 2007

On 6/27/07, Chris Fields <cjfields at uiuc.edu> wrote:

> On Jun 26, 2007, at 3:21 PM, George Hartzell wrote:

> > If you have a dev.open-bio.org account and you're in the bioperl
> > group, you're good to get at it via:
> >
> >   file:///home/hartzell/bioperl
> >
> > or
> >
> >   svn+ssh://dev.open-bio.org/home/hartzell/bioperl
>
> I managed to get it working using file://.  Haven't tried svn+ssh yet
> but I've had persistent problems getting ssh to work properly on my
> macbook; not sure why yet but I haven't had time to play around with it.

Are you using the ssh that comes installed with OSX? If so, I'd
recommend installing openssh from MacPorts. I recall having issues
with the stock version which were resolved by using the more
up-to-date version you can get via MacPorts.

BTW, I haven't been able to check out the new svn repository via
svn+ssh:// because I can't get svn to authenticate with an alternative
username. My username on dev.open-bio.org differs from what it is on
my local machine, so I issue a command such as:

steve at localhost $ svn --username sac checkout
svn+ssh://dev.open-bio.org/home/hartzell/bioperl/bioperl-live/trunk

but I get challenged with:
steve at dev.open-bio.org's password:

I also tried putting the --username argument after the subcommand, but
it still wants to use my local username. I can ssh -l sac into the dev
box no problem. Any suggestions?

Steve