[Bioperl-l] Network tests overhaul

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Mon Jun 18 16:06:26 UTC 2007

On Jun 18, 2007, at 10:09 AM, Sendu Bala wrote:

> David Messina wrote:
>> Less than half of the test files use BIOPERLDEBUG, so that narrows
>> down
>> the possibilities...
>
> Not necessarily. The problem is that there may be test scripts that
> have
> never even tried to skip network tests, and therefore don't use
> BIOPERLDEBUG. (Or that chose their own way to decide when to skip.)
>
> I was thinking along the lines of, does anyone know how to monitor
> accesses to the network card (or equivalent), getting information on
> which program (test script) requested the access?

EUtilities.t uses network tests predominately.  I'll switch over when
I commit everything from the overhaul.

Couldn't you enable BIOPERLDEBUG, disable network access, then
iterate through tests checking for those which fail or skip?  I think
Test::Harness has a way to do this, using execute_tests().