[Bioperl-l] EUtilities overhaul started

Siddhartha Basu basu at pharm.stonybrook.edu
Sun Jun 3 14:44:18 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2 Jun 2007 00:16:05 -0500
  Chris Fields <cjfields at uiuc.edu> wrote:
> To anyone using Bio::DB::EUilities,
>
> I am in the midst of a major overhaul to the various
>EUtilities tools
> and to Bio::DB::GenericWebDBI (the latter which I am
>forming into
> more or less a test bed for other database interfaces).
> I'm about
> 80% done at this point, and will likely start committing
>changes this
> coming week.
>
> The overall interface will change (something I had
>warned about in
> the Bio::DB::EUtilities POD) but I am hoping it will be
>more
> intuitive and easier to use in the long run.  I'll
>describe the
> overall redesign and use in an upcoming HOWTO (as
>recommended by
> Brian a while back).

Hi chris,
Being a frequent user of EUtilities, hopefully this api
facelift and upcoming howto will definitely be more
helpful.
Anyway, one thing i noticed that for each eutil call such
as efetch,epost,esearch,esummary a new
'Bio::DB::Utilities' object has to be
instantiated. And thereafter it cannot be set during
runtime such as
$eutils->id('ids'), for example....

my $eutils = Bio::DB::Eutilities->new ( -id => $id,
                                        -eutil =>
'esummary',
                                        -db => 'protein',
                                      );
my $ct = $eutils->get_response->content();

## -- now i cannot do this...
$eutils->id($newid);
my $ct = $eutils->get_response->content();

Is the new api going to address something along this line
or is there currently anyway to reuse
the object.
Thanks again for this nice toolkit.

-siddhartha