[Bioperl-l] Installing all modules required for testing

Sendu Bala bix at sendu.me.uk
Thu Jul 5 15:13:35 UTC 2007

Nathan S. Haigh wrote:
> Quoting Chris Fields <cjfields at uiuc.edu>:
>>> OK, to clarify using the test file Sendu mentioned in a previous
>>> post: t/SeqIO.t
>>>
>>> This test skips tests if Algorithm::Diff, IO::ScalarArray or
>>> IO::String are not installed
>>
>> If they are only necessary for tests, work for all OSs, and are
>> pure Perl they should be added to t/lib, like Test::More and the
>> rest.  If they only work for some OSs they could be added to t/lib
>> and skip based on OS, but they still must be pure Perl.  I would
>> avoid anything that requires any compiling for XS or Inline
>> altogether (I don't want to go down the nightmare road of
>> OS-dependent compiler issues for a few tests).
>
> If this is the case, there surely is no need to skip the tests if
> they should be provided in the t/lib dir. Am I missing something!?

That skip in SeqIO.t is new and I simply didn't think of them as
important enough to make anyone install them or include them in t/lib.

I'd go ahead and add those modules, but like I say, it may make more
sense just to use is_deeply(), removing the dependency on
Algorithm::Diff and IO::ScalarArray completely.