[Bioperl-l] BLASTXML XML::SAX::Expat issues resolved

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Tue Jan 30 19:47:55 UTC 2007

Sendu, all,

Björn Höhrmann updated XML::SAX::Expat to v0.38 on CPAN to fix a bug
that was killing BLAST XML parsing, so XML::SAX::Expat now works with
BLASTXML parsing.  However, it still has some problems with character
encoding.  This bug only seems to affect the output from description
() due to '>'.  Beyond that, every backend parser (XML::SAX::Expat,
XML::SAX::ExpatXS) works and passes tests, even with XML::SAX
character encoding issues.  I am still waiting to hear back from
Grant McLean on progress in fixing that particular XML::SAX bug.

Based on that I think we can remove any absolute ExpatXS requirement
(we can just require XML::SAX), though I still strongly recommend
using XML::SAX::ExpatXS or XML::LibXML::SAX::Parser.  A warning is in
place to warn users about entities issues if one uses an affected
XML::SAX backend (XML::SAX::PurePerl, XML::LibXML::SAX,
XML::SAX::Expat).

cheers!