[Bioperl-l] problem with Bio::SearchIO::Writer

David Messina dmessina at wustl.edu
Wed Jan 10 15:58:50 UTC 2007

> this document also available on CPAN and i have saw it:)

That's good, but you may want to become familiar with the BioPerl
website, because the information there is more extensive and more up-
to-date.

> i use a filehandle for output before i know some Text output module
> such as Bio::SearchIO::Writer::TextResultWriter or other module
> so which variables could be visited by the object created by
> Writer::TextResultWriter module?

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking here. Do you want to know
what methods can be used on a TextResultWriter object?

> i have seen no FILE option of the synopsis of TextResultWriter

Ahh, that is because TextResultWriter doesn't have a file option. :)
If you look carefully at the example, it is actually Bio::SearchIO
that take the -file parameter:

>   my $in = new Bio::SearchIO(-format => 'blast',
>                             -file   => shift @ARGV);

This example might be a little confusing because it uses an unusual
(antiquated?) syntax.
This would do the same thing:

my $in = Bio::SearchIO->new(-format => 'blast',
								 -file => shift @ARGV);

The Bio::SearchIO documentation for the new() method describes all of
the parameters it can take:

http://doc.bioperl.org/bioperl-live/Bio/SearchIO.html#POD1

> that is exactly i confusing with

BioPerl can be hard to understand at first. Time spent reading
bioperl.org and this mailing list is a good way to become familiar
with the "Bioperl way" of doing things.

Dave