[Bioperl-l] Problem installing bioperl-1.5.2_102

Dave Messina dmessina at wustl.edu
Thu Mar 1 01:40:39 UTC 2007

> t/compat.t     5  1280    60    5   8.33%  25-28 31

This is the test that failed. I think you snipped the part above where the
actual errors causing the failure was printed.

> There seems to be running another CPAN process (pid 7207). Contacting...
> Lockfile /Users/sand60/.cpan/.lock not writeable by you. Cannot proceed.
>     On UNIX try:
>     rm /Users/sand60/.cpan/.lock
>   and then rerun us.
>  at -e line 1
> ###################################################
> And doing what it says, removing some lock file doesn't help.

Are you sure the lock file is really being removed? If so, what was the
error you got when running it after doing that?

Also, this line is important:
>  /usr/bin/make test -- NOT OK

It looks like you're trying to install on OS X. By default, OS X has perl
but not make. So /usr/bin/make probably doesn't exist on your system,
along with lots of other UNIX tools you'll want. To verify this, type:

which /usr/bin/make

on the command line. If you get:
/usr/bin/make: Command not found.

you'll need to install the OS X developer tools, called Xcode. You'll need
to register first, but you can get the latest version at:
http://developer.apple.com/tools/download/

After you do that, reread the BioPerl install docs and try to install
again. Since you don't have root on your machine, be sure to read the part
of the install instructions that describe what to do.

Dave