[Bioperl-l] Feature/Annotation rollback finished

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Thu Aug 30 18:03:29 UTC 2007

On Aug 30, 2007, at 11:20 AM, Hilmar Lapp wrote:

>> ...It describes one method, ontology_term(), which returns a
>> Bio::Ontology::TermI.  This is similar to
>> SeqFeature::Annotated::type(), which returns a
>> Bio::Annotation::OntologyTerm (a Bio::Ontology::TermI).  My
>> thought is to simply deprecate type() in favor of
>> TypedSeqFeatureI::ontology_term().
>
> I think we'll want to think about that. type() gives me some
> indication of what the returned value might represent, whereas
> ontology_term() only tells me about the type of the returned object.
>
> You could make ontology_term() accept a context argument, such as
>
> 	my $feature_type = $typedFeat->ontology_term(-context => -type);
>
> Or you could name the method(s) more explicitly, such as
>
> 	my $feature_type = $typedFeat->type_term();
> 	my $feature_source = $typedFeat->source_term();
> 	my @annTerms = $typedFeat->get_Annotations('Gene Ontology');
>
> Am I making sense?
>
> 	-hilmar

I think so; I'll have to look at what is returned from type() in some
more detail.

It appears that the two main culprits for passing strings off to
Ontology::Term are the Bio::OntologyIO::obo and
Bio::OntologyIO::dagflat parsers.  I can add some code in there to
change those to DBLinks prior to creating Ontology::Term instances,
which should clean that up.