[Bioperl-l] Feature/Annotation rollback finished

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Thu Aug 30 02:02:45 UTC 2007

On Aug 28, 2007, at 5:05 PM, Chris Fields wrote:

> I'm now wrapping up the Feature/Annotation rollback.  I will probably
> start merging back to the main branch in the next day or two., as
> soon as interested parties (*cough*devs*cough*) look over the last
> batch of changes.
>
> http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/Feature_Annotation_rollback#Fourth_Round
>
> [...]
> It is also possible there are still some instances where overloading
> is expected lurking about in the ~1000 or so modules, so I'll leave
> the exceptions I added to all Bio::AnnotationI

Keep in mind that code such as

	if ($ann) { ... }

is mostly not b/c someone wanted to use overloading, but rather
someone was lazy and really meant to say

	if (defined($ann)) { ... }

In the absence of eq overloading, these will behave identically. So
if you leave the exceptions in it is sort-of policing lazy
programmers, which I guess is fine in principle, but is guaranteed to
trip up a lot of script code. I'd take it out if you're reasonably
sure that at least within BioPerl itself those lazy programming
incidents are removed.

> [...]
> The key change in this last round is the addition of several class
> *dbxref* methods to Bio::Ontology::Term and
> Bio::Annotation::OntologyTerm, all of which are capable of working
> with either DBLink instances or simple scalars.

I don't think you need the code here to deal with both scalars and
objects. It is fine I think to define the new methods from the outset
to consistently accept and return DBLink objects, and period.

The backwards compatibility logic should rather be in the *_dblink*()
methods; i.e., instead of simple aliases they should have the code to
map to and from the new API. That way, once the deprecation cycle
ends, they can be removed, and with them all the legacy code that now
is no longer needed, whereas if you have that in the new methods, it
keeps bothering the maintainers.

You also mention a add_dbxref_context() on the wiki page - I'm not
sure why that would be needed given that you build in the -context
option to add_dbxref() from the outset. But maybe I've glossed over
some detail.

Once this is merged back to the main trunk, I guess we need to give
Bio::SeqFeature::TypedSeqFeatureI a thorough look and make sure it
makes real sense.

Thanks Chris for this effort, this clears a monumental roadblock.

	-hilmar